Monday, April 18, 2005

Adverts++

It occurred to me the other day that Japan has quite a high density of advertising compared to Australia - it's just that I'm immune to it because I can't understand much of it. On busses and trains there are audio ads played for local businesses as you pass their stop. The seat in font of you has an advert on it staring you in the face, and on trains there are double-sided posters hanging from the ceilings as though there's not enough room on the walls to plaster them onto. I don't really mind it that much, because it gives me something to practise reading Japanese with.

Around most large city centres in Japan, you'll find people handing out free tissue packs. These aren't samples to encourage you to buy the real product. They're actually already paid for by the adverts all over the pack!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ben, only just got the address of your little blog here off Jason after losing it almost as soon as you gave it to me :)

Must say, very jealous. Keep taking pictures, lots of pictures, especially of the nice armour... might be a new sub group of BIF as some point :P

Justin

12:52 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi Justin, yeah I'm always on the lookout for Samurai stuff :) Last week my kendo instructor let us have a swing with his sharpened katana :o

9:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ben, great to read your diary again... can't wait for the next one with your official announcement...
I am also intrigued by those weird shoes. I wonder if they were actually used for real at some stage of history??? or is it just a gimmick like our stilt walkers?
maybe Chihiro might know....

7:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home