Saturday, September 17, 2005

English Lesson

A friend is on holidays in Canada, and asked me to take one of his private English classes for him. I decided it would be an interesting experience, and the money sounded good too ($60 for an hour's lesson). The lesson was for 5 highschool students at a private "cram-school", and the lessons focus on practising speaking and listing. I wasn't too worried about what I'd teach at first, because I thought I'd just get the students talking about some things in English, and I'd correct and explain things when needed. This is alot easier said than done though. They were very shy, and reluctant to speak. I spoke slowly and clearly, and they could understand most of what I said, but I had to be very careful about what words I chose to use. It's actually quite difficult to explain some things with simple words. Luckily I had done a little preparation, and they had fun pretending to be in an Australian pub ordering food and drinks. Thankfully after that they were a bit more talkative, and I ended up staying for almost 2 hours. Overall it was a little more work and stress than I'd imagined, but very satisfying, because they noticeably improved even in the short time I spent with them. I don't think I could do it full-time though!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ainead said...

Ha ha! My favourite word to try to explain (using basic language only) is 'actually'. It has to be the stupidest word in the English language.

Every day at work I have to do one lesson in the 'voice room' where you basically have to facilitate conversation for 40 minutes... with the limitations that it shouldn't be about religion, drugs, sex, politics, whaling or any other topics that might be contentious.

It's the hardest part of the job sometimes and it can really drag...

12:19 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Haha, "actually" Chihiro says the same thing! Wow, it doesn't sound like there's anything interesting left to talk about in those voice rooms. :-|

6:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home