Sunday, June 05, 2005

The Gentle Man's Game

Last weekend I met a bunch of foreigners (mostly brits, aussies and new zealanders) who belong to the local cricket club, and on Sunday I played a game with them in the Area 2nd division league. It was a lot of fun, though I hadn't played in around 15 years since when I was in primary school, and my skills were a little lacking - I was bowled out mid-wicket on the first bowl... However I made up for that with some great fielding. More enthusiasm than skill really - throwing myself in front of the ball to stop it rather than scooping it up gracefully.

The people on my team were all very friendly though the other team from Tokyo seemed a little stuck-up. (They arrived together in brand new uniforms emblazoned with dragons while our team turned up whenever their hangovers had worn off, wearing whatever white-ish clothes were at hand). It was a close game and expletives were flying thick and fast (mostly from my team). However we did end up winning, after which we headed off to the clubhouse (a large private room in a nearby pub) for a post-mortem and a beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home