Sunday, February 19, 2006

Kendo Test

Last weekend I went to do my first level kendo test. It started at 1pm but there was a "practice" session from 9am where you can be instructed about how the test will proceed and what the important points to keep in mind are. I was pretty confident I would pass because I've been practising the basics required for almost a year, but I was a bit nervous about not being able to understand much of what the judges were saying so I went to the practice session anyway. The practice and test were both held in a huge kendo hall at a famous temple in Shizuoka. My first surprise on turning up was the number of people. There were more than 100 students (and when I say students I mean primary and junior high-school), so not only was I the only foreigner, I was apparently the only adult!
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The practice went well, and I could understand most of what was going to happen during the test. The various instructors each had their bit to say on the test, most just re-iterating that your movements should be firm and your yelling should be loud. One in particular droned on and on for more than 15 minutes while we were all seated in the traditional Japanese "sitting on your legs" position. I started to cramp badly and had to lean forward or support myself with my arms, and even some of the other kids started to shift about. When it finally came time to stand up I could barely support my own weight! When it was over I had lunch in the temple gardens with Chihiro. When we came back we listened to a speech by the head sensei from my club, who it seemed was also the head of the prefectural kendo society.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Just before the test started, we were each given ID numbers and lined up in groups. I noticed that 2 other adults had arrived, though they were a fair bit older than me in their 40's. I was grouped with them, and we were to go last. Two hours later, it was finally our turn. It went pretty well, right up until the end, when instead of waiting for the instructor's call to bow and leave I was too exhausted to think straight and did it automatically. Luckily that little faux-pas didn't prevent me from passing! I was surprised that only 60% of people passed so their standards must be reasonably high. My sensei came up to me afterwards congratulating me, and said that I should order a Japanese-English kendo dictionary to continue my study. He gave me the details, but came back later saying that they had found a copy at the temple I could buy for $25 instead of the regular $30. I gave him the money and to my surprise he came back once more and handed me back half the money, saying simething about a discount! I was confused but happy.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

To celebrate my passing, Chihiro and I went and had a strawberry parfait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home