Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Little Surprises

Even after six months of living in Japan, I'm still surprised by something new almost every day. Recently I walked into a convenience store to use the toilet, and was surprised on entering the small bathroom to see the toilet cover and seat automatically lifting for me. How did this computerised toilet know I was a guy, and I only wanted to do a pee? Did it scan for Y chromosomes? Did it ultrasound my bladder and rectum to gauge my needs? And of course it also flushed for me when I was finished.

And sometimes the surprises aren't so delightful (which doesn't make them any less interesting though), like last night when I was woken up at half past midnight by a loud voice on the neighbourhood PA system. At first I thought it was announcing some kind of imminent disaster (maybe even an attack from North Korea!) but the neighbourhood remained silent and I just went back to sleep. Today I discovered that it was announcing the end of a flood warning (heavy rains at this time of year can swell the rivers very quickly, but I don't think there was any danger of roads or houses being flooded).

4 Comments:

Blogger Ainead said...

I know exactly what you mean! Bean ice-cream, cute pink lollies that you expect to be musk but are really pickled plum flavour...

It still surprises me when I'm in a restaurant and someone at the next table lights up a cigarette.

Or when a small child walks past you in shoes that squeak with each step!

Its full of surprises for me at the moment and I'm glad to hear that it will still be so after a year! ;)

12:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno that I could trust a toilet that could open and close itself.... images of a giant mouse trap come to mind... oh my poor... tail :/

Justin

10:01 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Hehe yeah Cat I think you could spend years in Japan and still be surprised.

Hahaha Justin! You wouldn't want the computer running the toilet to have a glitch would you?

4:29 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Hahaha! It's like a laser beam isn't it? Yes, I've pressed it.... JUST ONCE!

11:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home