Friday, March 31, 2006

Engagement Party

Last weekend Chihiro and I had our engagment party which was pretty big, being more like a wedding because many people won't be able to make it to Australia later this year when we get married. Two of Chihiro's friends hosted the party dressed in traditional clothes (one of them borrowed my kendo gi and hakama!) I bought my first ever suit for the occassion, and Chihiro looked absolutely stunning in a flowery blue dress. The party was a completely new experience for me. We were the centre of attention, making our debut like royalty and being seated together at a small table on the stage!
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I gave a speech in Japanese, and apart from being a bit nervous I think I pulled it off! Organised entertainment included wonderful singing and piano performances by two of Chihiro's friends, a funny retelling of how we got together, a game where each table had to create a greeting message for us from specific words pulled out of a bucket and then whisper it to the person next to them to send it back to us, a game of bingo (using software I made to call the numbers!) where the first prize was a trip to disneyland, and...
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The most popular performance was given by Chihiro's two younger sisters who did a comedy song/dance act mimicing a famouse comedy duo, but replacing some of the lyrics with stuff about us!
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Chihiro's father gave a speech, and had even made a printout about us with photos and a map of Australia! Time passed far too quickly, and soon we had to leave to make way for the next party at the venue, but before we left Chihiro made a nice speech thanking everyone. We're hoping many people will be able to visit us in Australia.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Before leaving we had some quick photo sessions, but that wasn't the end! We went with the younger people off to the next party, and when that finished 3 hours later we had a third party!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations yet again mate :)
You two look great together.

What date do you guys come back to Australia? I am planning a big one for 29th birthday just because and if you are back by June I would love you there.

Once again.... Woot!

Justin

6:44 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

thanks mate, actually we've got some good news: Chihiro just got her visa, so we're planning to fly to Australia on the 23rd of April :) Looking forward to seeing everyone!

8:40 pm  
Blogger Neill said...

Your speech was great, buddy. I wish I had been feeling better. I was looking forward to going all week, dammit.
I hope I can visit you in Australia someday soon.

5:07 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi Neill, you're very welcome to come and visit any time man. (maybe for our wedding!)

7:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home